Day 5: List five places you want to visit.
This might have been the fastest blog I’ve ever written, if I didn’t have to stop and find the best links. Which, still not entirely sure I have for some. I grumble at the HDR shots of these places because EVERYONE does that and it. is. so. old. I prefer natural, warm colored images – andddd who cares. I just felt the need to defend my link choices because out of 5, I’m pleased with…2 of them? 3 possibly. Either way, here’s my have’s:
- The Grand Canyon – This is my dream, my must-see place. I watch documentaries on it and have maps and apps on my iPhone listing all the best places for trails and activities, etc. So that when I do go one day, and I will, I’ll not feel overwhelmed. At least, not in the “what to do/where to go” sense. I have no doubt I’ll be overwhelmed by the sheer size and power of it all – awed by nature in a way I’ve not yet come upon. I look forward to it more than I could possibly put into words, and so I’ll leave it at #1, because that’s where it belongs.
- Zion National Park – I have a close friend who lives in Utah and has been trying to get me on a plane to visit this place year in and year out. K, I’m sorry I’ve been so lame. I see now how planes are the least of life’s worries and I promise I’ll be there inside of 2 years’ time. That’s my commitment to the cause. Anyway, I’ve seen plenty of photos of Zion and it looks truly, deeply inspiring. Getting to the “Grand Canyon level of need to see” the longer I don’t.
- Joshua Tree National Park – This is more from a wedding photography point of interest, but JTNP just looks stunning for couples in beautiful dresses and stylized suits. I often imagine what sort of poses I’d use there and the lighting I’d want to go for versus what I typically tend to go with. I know it all sounds dreadfully boring to the non-wedding pro, but that’s one of the main draws to this place. That aside, I mean, it’s just downright gorgeous.
- Hawaii – Need I explain this one (or the next)? Gorgeous locations, beautiful landscapes, interesting architecture, amazing culture and food I have no doubt I’d fall head over heels in love with. This one also slides into my “dream wedding” locales, for both my own future wedding and as a wedding photographer. It’s sublime – a fantasy land and one I hope I eventually spend hours and hours and days exploring. Also: Active Volcanoes. How awesome! I’ve attached a link to one of my absolute favorite photographers, who spends her time shooting between HI & CO mostly, and I so envy her for that. But in a good way, because #goals.
- Iceland – Oh, Iceland. How you’ve taken over my Instagram feed and I don’t blame you for it one bit. Iceland has quickly shot to the top 5 list because of how breathtakingly brilliant it is. For adventurers, is there any other place in the world that people seem to gravitate towards as much? I honestly want to know. Because it seems a toss between the Pacific Northwest and Iceland. Which, yes to both for me. I love mountains and the sea and it’s become painfully clear now that I’m at the end of this blog that I was born on the wrong side of the country. I wouldn’t mind being on a plane once or twice a month if it meant visiting any one of these locations mentioned above, and my wanderlusting heart is aching to do just that. So, I suppose we’ll see. Linked to another favorite photographer of mine – Alex Strohl. Look, LOOK AT THOSE PHOTOS AND TELL ME YOU DON’T WANNA GO.